This is about the strengths and weaknesses of Tibco BPM along with a viable alternative for Tibco (Tallyfy). Much of it is borrowed from Gartner, with some portions edited and cleaned up.
TIBCO Software made significant changes in its product strategy in the past year, including a shift toward more use of cloud platforms and combining some offerings, including ActiveMatrix (AMX), Nimbus and tibbr with other TIBCO products, to cut the number of SKUs and reduce marketing, sales and support complexity. TIBCO’s organization has also been streamlined following its acquisition by private equity firm Vista Equity Partners in December 2014. This analysis centers on TIBCO ActiveMatrix (AMX) BPM 4.0, TIBCO Business Studio 4.0, TIBCO AMX BPM Spotfire 7.1, TIBCO BusinessEvents 5.2.1, TIBCO AMX BusinessWorks 6.2.2, TIBCO Nimbus 9.5.2, TIBCO JasperReports 6.1.1, TIBCO StreamBase 7.5.4 + TIBCO Live Datamart 2.0.4 and tibbr 6.0.1.
Strengths of TIBCO BPM
- TIBCO offers first-rate real-time analytics and operational intelligence, including process intelligence BAM (in AMX BPM); business intelligence BAM, visual data discovery and predictive analytics (in Spotfire and R); business rule processing (in AMX Decisions); two stream analytics CEP platforms (BusinessEvents and StreamBase); and other capabilities. The tight integration of Spotfire with AMX BPM and BusinessEvents is a unique advantage.
- TIBCO’s traditional strength in application integration is based on its enterprise service bus (AMX BusinessWorks), message-oriented middleware (Enterprise Message Service and FTL), and off-the-shelf adapters into applications and other platforms, alongside its newly acquired API Management offering (from its acquisition of Mashery).
- TIBCO offers improved case management support and multiple ways to implement sophisticated forms of event-driven BPM, leveraging combinations of business rules, CEP, and AMX BPM for a variety of demanding digital business and IoT applications.
Weaknesses of TIBCO BPM
- TIBCO’s product line is powerful but overly complicated and expensive for most small and midsize BPM projects unless they require a high level of analytics or real-time integration among multiple applications or SaaS offerings (such conditions are found, for example, especially in digital business transformation projects).
- In locations outside of North America, some customers report inconsistent support.
- AMX BPM is best-suited for systematic, IT-centric development projects. It is less effective for business-user-led projects because of its weak capabilities for high-productivity application authoring.
Alternative to Tibco BPM — Tallyfy
Problem — old BPM makes modelling complicated
A great alternative to Tibco would be the ability to model processes simply. Just because you have some big BPMN model doesn’t make you clever or useful. In the end, people can/will still have to actually do the process, which comes down to email/spreadsheets (unless you want a 6-month IT project). It’s simply ridiculous to use BPMN in today’s age — where people collaborate and don’t follow flowcharts anyway. Any alternative to Tibco must entirely remove the use of flowcharts and in particular — BPMN. Unlike what you’ve heard about BPMN — it’s not a “standard” at all — as each vendor creates their own flavor of it. This makes the much-touted “standard” and “portability” aspect of it next to impossible to achieve.
Tallyfy uses simple lists that still have all the features of flowcharts
Problem — just IT and process analysts map processes. Managers crave real power to map a process themselves
Tallyfy is the only tool that enables collaboration amongst any kind of role/person — since most people understand the simplicity of the tool in 60 seconds. The alternative to Tibco is not really an alternative at all — it’s an inevitable switch.
Problem — nobody looks at process maps. You need your processes to be in simple, executable list format
This means you need workflow software like Tallyfy that actually provides that simplicity, along with the power you need.
Consider a beautiful alternative to Tibco — Tallyfy
It integrates to everything, and it actually works for everyone.
Take a look at a video demo of Tallyfy below, as a viable, user-friendly alternative to Tibco.